POSTS

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Gang Bao Chicken



This recipe for Gang Bao Chicken was posted on Everybody Loves Ramen. Now I really love a stir fry but  I must confess they are not my strong point. But this one looked soooo good I just had to try. Fortunately the fantastic Shaun told me I needed a wok, and that I needed to season it (isn't twitter a wonderful thing!).

My new 'seasoned' wok
Otherwise words of advice were to be organised, so organised I was.

Check out my new knife thanks to TheIntolerantChef :)
The chicken is marinated in a mix of oyster sauce, soy sauce and sesame oil.


Then the cashews are toasted. I attempted to do this in my wok and it took about 2 seconds so watch them!

The chillies are soaked and then dried. Prepare garlic (I actually used fresh garlic - you can pick up amazing bunches of fresh garlic at the markets), spring onions and onion. Measure out the Szechuan pepper. Mix up the sauce of raw sugar, sesame oil, soy sauce, and Shaoxing wine. Prepare a little cornstarch with warm water. And finally coat your marinated chicken in a little flour.


Then go go go. Add oil to the hot wok, throw in your pepper and chillies briefly. Remove the chillies and add the garlic. After a few seconds add the chicken separating out the pieces with some tongs. Once the chicken starts looking crispy add the sauce allowing it to deglaze the pan. Throw in your onions and chillies. Finally thicken the sauce with a little of the cornstarch and then add the cashews.


I was so happy, it was delicious. The chicken was melt in your mouth moist and tender. The sauce was so so tasty. I am so pleased, my first ever truly successful stir fry. I love my wok :) 


15 comments:

  1. Go you and your new wok!! I never heard of 'seasoning' it before. That stir fry looks amazing! If a house near you ever goes for sale let me know! I may consider relocating to the other side of the globe to have such a good cook for a neighbour :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay congrats!! You might wanna work that wok a little more so it's black/blue all up the sides (but don't burn yourself!!)
    As a side note too in case you didn't read in your seasoning instructions -- don't wash it with soap. If you have already, don't worry. Just don't do it again. ;)

    That looks REALLY yummy :D

    And thanks for the shout out. Glad you liked the dish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job breaking in your beautiful new wok! Your stir-fry looks amazing! I'm not very good at stir-frying myself - thanks for all the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Gang Bao Chicken looks delicious! You did a great job with the stir-fry! I love my wok! Cannot imagine my kitchen without one! And stir-fry is the way to go in a Chinese kitchen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowo! I love the flavours in it, makes me feel hungry now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I know what I'm having for dinner tomorrow! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes seasoning a wok is very important. Someone else told me that too and I thought that it was ever so helpful (and I was glad they told me before I used it :P )

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohh looks fantastic! i cant cook to save my life :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. seasoned wok lol... that reminds me i still have a new wok to use o.O:

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks absolutely mouth watering! You just remind me to reclaim my wok from my son who abducted it a year ago and I haven't seen it since..LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks really really good...delicious and nice to look at too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a meal I would looooove! The chicken looks lovely and the dried chillies are delicious. I'm glad to see your knife is coming in so handy too :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to comment