POSTS

Monday, March 5, 2012

Ginger Biscuits filled with Lemon, Ginger and White Pepper Buttercream


In the most recent edition of SBS Feast magazine is this lovely recipe by Matthew Evans for Ginger Creams. My parents were visiting and so I had the perfect excuse to bake this indulgent snack.


Yes the main ingredient is butter, 200g, beaten with 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of ground ginger and 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg until pale and fluffy.


Combine the sifted flours (200g plain flour and 50g cornflour) with the butter and roll into balls.


Press down with two fingers and bake for 15 minutes at 180C.


Allow to firm up in the tray before transferring to a wire rack to cool.


Prepare the buttercream by beating 50g butter with 100g icing sugar. 
Then beat in 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper and 1 teaspoon lemon juice.


Join your biscuits together and enjoy! 
The white pepper in the icing actually works really well, it just brings out the ginger flavour.

25 comments:

  1. I was only thinking the other day how much I would like a ginger biscuit...and then here is your post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginger biscuit sound wonderful. I find it interesting that the white pepper brought out the ginger flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look so simple - and I have a soft spot for icing filled biscuits too :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting! The pepper buttercream sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm can I come to tea please LOL Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to know who put all of these ingredients together. The more I cook and learn about food combinations, the more curious I get about flavors. These little cookies look adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never tried ginger biscuits!They seem yummy!Have a lovely week,dear!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, these look great! The flavour combination is pretty original, the whole thing sort of reminds me of ginger kisses :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't it great when family gives you an excuse to bake a sweet treat? I can only imagine how well white pepper and ginger would do in a cookie. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks so good. Perfect with a cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how wonderful!! Ginger, spices, lemon are some of my favourite things in dessert :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love anything ginger related so you can be sure I will be making these. I love the idea of the pepper in the buttercream.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Simple to do, easy washup and interesting flavours. I like it. I like it a lot! Though, I may or may not double the butter cream when I make it for myself just so I have some more to lick off of haha. Can't get enough of the stuff and I'd like the sound of ginger in it ;p

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such an unusual combination. I have never tried to put pepper in sweets. They look delicious and spicy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful combo. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. They look totally melt-in-your mouth delicious! I love that peppery gingery zing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the way you shapes these biscuits with 2 fingers pressing on top creating a very nice and rustic look.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These biscuits look so delicious. The addition of white pepper in the icing sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. White pepper buttercream? Talk about interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Interesting use of white pepper! Always been a big fan of ginger in sweets. Sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I bet these are absolutely scrumptious! What a great blend of flavours!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Haha, yep, whenever shortbread-type biscuits are made there's always a LOT of butter involved!

    ReplyDelete
  23. *bookmarks this for later as he's totally going to make this*
    QUIT INSPIRING ME TO MAKE AWESOME SWEET THINGS.

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to comment