POSTS

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Glazed Duck

This is my glazed duck I cooked at home.
Earlier last year I attended the Pork class at Restaurant Atelier in Glebe
It was so fabulous and inspiring that I was so pleased when I was able to attend a Duck class later in the year. 

This is the delicious duck Darren cooked in the class and we got to gobble up!

One of the many fantastic recipes Darren taught us was glazed duck, such a simple recipe that anyone could cook.

Firstly the duck is plunged into boiling water and then hung up to drip dry.


The duck is then coated a few times with a glaze (made by bringing equal quantities of malt extract, chinese caramel sauce and kecap manis to just a boil).


Once the duck is looking shiny it is kept in the fridge overnight.


Give the duck a new coat of glaze and bake covered for an hour then uncover for another thirty minutes.


Give the duck plenty of time to rest then enjoy.


It was a really beautiful way to cook a duck.


We have totally fallen for everything Restaurant Atelier has to offer - classes, dinners, spits on a sunday - you need to go there. 
We enjoyed our wedding anniversary dinner there in December, and it was amazing - from start to finish - perfect.

Our first course of the degustation - Kingfish. 

19 comments:

  1. Wow, that is one delicious looking roasted duck!
    Happy New Year and best wishes for a wonderful year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks INCREDIBLE!!! I'm so impressed that you go home and make the stuff we learn in class. So far we've only made roast pork (which was YUM)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Atelier seriously is one fine establishment. This duck recipe is beyond easy and, I'm sure, very tasty. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that glazed duck looks like it just came from the chinese bbq meats butcher! I am very impressed :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The duck looks divine! He really knows his way around meat-his pork dishes are delicious! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM!!! This looks so amazingly delicious! I am so jealous, I want Christmas at your place next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The duck looks amazing. I bet it was really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This duck is absolutely delicious and the coating looks really mouthwatering! Have a wonderful and prosperous New Year Muppy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. That looks amazing! I bet you had a ball with the duck fat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow! that looks really tasty. i have never cooked duck but hopefully, this year i will give it a shot :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This does look delicious and simple enough to make at home. I just happen to have a duck in the freezer too- lucky me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely adore duck, and this totally sounds like something I can make at home! I'm definitely trying this soon. Happy New Year! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Your glazed duck look so glossy and amazing. You are very pro cooking this :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! This is awesome, thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. mm gorgeous colour! i love duck, mum makes her own as well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow a duck class sounds amazing. This looks absolutely fantastic Muppy! I would love to make it at home :) Does the boiling water cook the duck? Just curious - would it possibly be affected by bacteria for being partially cooked then put in the fridge for a day - like chicken ?

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful experience. Duck must be calling my name because I have just read 2 other articles featuring it. I want to try Duck Confit soon. You're right, that glaze on your duck is just beautiful. Happy New Year too!

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to comment