POSTS

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Donna's Thai Fish Cakes


This recipe for Thai fish cakes is another from Donna Hay's Fast, Fresh, Simple. I have never actually made fish cakes before so I thought this very simple recipe was a good place to start. The fish is processed with coriander, ginger, chilli jam and eggwhite before being shaped into patties. Unfortunately my fish cake had too much liquid, I think from my overly runny chilli jam, and so the consistency was not quite right. They did still hold together so I persisted. They are panfried in some oil. Donna used loads of oil but I just coated my non stick pan.

They were served with a little cucumber salad that also had some parsley and coriander leaves with a fish sauce, sugar and lime juice dressing. I made a simple fried rice (inspired by JasmyneTea - thanks) to accompany the dish and make it a meal.


My fish cakes had a delicious flavour but the texture was not quite right, kind of grainy. I assume this is because of the liquid in my mix. The cucumber salad was absolutely perfect, I really loved the freshness of the cucumber with the herbs and the gorgeously balanced dressing. The rice was great, a nice addition to the meal. I would make these again but will be sure to use a thick jam and maybe a different type of fish.

14 comments:

  1. I hate to hear that the texture wasn't quite right! They do look quite delicious though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to check out "Fast, Fresh, Simple", I'm digging all the recipes you are getting from there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They do look great, even if you weren't 100% happy with them.
    thanks for visiting my blog ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Thai flavours I must give this a try. Love your blog I will be back. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Thai fish cakes... it is actually one of the few ways my 3 year old (!) enjoys her fish!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love fish cakes - unfortunately I am in the minority in this house!

    Steaming is another good option - I have a recipe for steamed fish cakes that I am wanting to try!!! PErhaps you better come over for dinner!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look great, a shame about the texture but as you say the flavour was good :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never made fish cakes! Sounds like a lot of fun and I am sure my son would love them too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Thai flavors... the fish cakes look tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fish cakes.... one of my favorite! I bet your recipe is delicious.... must try! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like a great recipe! I've tried a couple of different recipes for Thai fish cakes, but I'll have to give this one a go next!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Cate, Steamed fish cakes sound really delicious (and healthy), i'd happily try it ;P

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been meaning to make fish cakes for ages, but never knew how to incorporate into a meal. but that looks great!

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to comment