POSTS

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Nigella Lemon Meringue Cake


I stumbled across this Nigella recipe for Lemon Meringue Cake and was so intrigued by it I had to give it a go.


It really is quite strange as you bake the meringue and cake layered together.


The lemony rich egg yolk cake is spread on the bottom of two tins, I don't actually have two the same size hence my interesting shaped cake.


And the glossy thick meringue layer spread on top.


It is then baked. 
Mine browned very quickly, so I turned the heat down a bit and loosely covered with foil.



After cooling in the tins you put one cake meringue side down.


Generously cover with lemon curd (make your own - its easy).


Top with some freshly whipped cream.


Then pop your next layer of cake on top.



Quite an ugly cake really but at the same time so impressive.
 I really liked it though next time I'll add extra lemon curd and take more care with the cake - make it softer and lighter.


19 comments:

  1. Wow, ive never seen a meringue and cake baked together, i love a lemon meringue, I will have to try this one out one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i couldn't resist trying it when i saw the recipe!

      Delete
  2. I just found my husbands birthday cake thanks Muppy! I make one with the same method but with pineapple in the cake mix and coconut in the meringueand it's so yummy as well. I bet this tastes amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it's an ugly cake! I don't like the part where you have to turn the meringue layer upside down... why flatten those beautiful peaks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe the recipe states to make pretty peaks on one cake and just flatten it on the other :)

      Delete
  4. I think it looks beautiful and light! I really want to try making this too because lemon meringue pie is my favourite..and everything is better with cake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic looking cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meringue and lemon curd. Two of my favourite things. Please can I have some please?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow! I love lemon meringue pie and this is like the classic on crack :D yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm crazy for lemon meringue pie but I think this might be even better than pie! :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. An interesting cake! Looks delicious, definitely not ugly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOOHHH AHHH! Yum. It looks decadent and perfect for Easter x

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW!! I have never seen anything like this before, it looks so amazingly delicious!!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohhhhh i definitely love the sound and look of it. Rustic ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. How does that work? I'm amazed that the cake layer baked all the way through without the meringue completely burning!! I'd love to try it some time. *hint hint*

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a seriously amazing looking cake! I absolutely love lemony desserts and meringue so I love the idea of this in cake form!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahum Ahum, Ummmmmmmm;
    As I saw this cake in the picture, my mouth was watering...

    Madam as your work and contents are very special and beautiful, you sould concentrate on your blog design too. more attractive design will improve the look of your contents to professional style.

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to comment