POSTS

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Butter Chicken with Okra


Recently I discovered this recipe on Dani Venn's blog for Indian Butter Chicken
With its promise of authenticity, as the recipe was learnt in India I knew I had to try it.


The chicken is marinated with garlic, ginger, chilli and lemon juice for a couple of hours.


A paste is prepared by cooking cashews, water, milk and red onion and then pureed.


The sauce begins with cooking the whole spices, then adding fresh ripe tomatoes, water and ground spices.


I decided to add some okra to my curry, so I sliced it up and added to the sauce until tender.


I then picked out all the okra and whole spices (yes a little tedious!) and blended the sauce until smooth.


Meanwhile the marinade is drained off the chicken, and yoghurt, more ginger and garlic, and other spices added to coat the chicken.


Cook the chicken on the bbq to intensify the flavours (traditionally a tandoor is used).


The sauce goes back in the pan with some extra spices and combine some (or in my case all - it tasted so good) of the cashew puree.


The chicken and okra are then added to the sauce, along with salt, crushed fenugreek leaves and honey.


It was amazing.


The sauce tasted beautifully spiced, the okra was melt in your mouth tender, and the charred chicken was just perfect.
(There were plenty of jealous tastebuds whilst enjoying the leftovers at work the next day).


I will definitely be cooking this one again.

12 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous looking recipe and it certainly looks very authentic! Love the photo documentation and all your delicious looking family meals :) I'd love to give this recipe a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious especially with the okra.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! The flavor of this chicken must be amazing. Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made chicken curry for dinner, but this one of yours is making me hungry already! This definitely goes on my to-do list. Yummo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okra with chicken now that sounds another great gastronome experience. Love to have this in my table today. :D Got my eye on your next posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lot of work but it does look delicious. It's also probably my favourite Indian dish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marinating the chicken must have made it extra juicy and tender. Looks mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just having a conversation a few days ago pondering if butter chicken was actually an authentic Indian dish! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love the addition of okra in this Indian classic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum, that looks AMAZING and it's definitely going on my to-cook list! I love the addition of okra.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my kingdom for butter chicken-I'm crazy for the stuff. I really want to try this now :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to comment