POSTS

Monday, September 5, 2011

Beef, Spinach and Peanut Sudanese Stew


The latest edition of Feast, the new foodie magazine by SBS, arrived in the mail last week.
It has some delicious recipes, this one a stew from south Sudan.
Not only a simple dish it was full of flavour. 

The beef is browned and then slow cooked along with the softened onions, garlic and tomato paste in beef stock. Sweet potato is added until tender and then add in cooked spinach (I used silverbeet), fresh tomatoes and ground peanuts. Serve with couscous.


I loved this dish, the taste was amazing. The peanut added a really interesting flavour and made it quite unique.

10 comments:

  1. How great is Feast!? What a lovely, exotic dish. Do the ground peanuts also thicken the sauce?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a fantastic dish! And since it's from Sudan, it's a nice change of pace cuisine-wise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never actually cooked with silverbeet! Must change that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always been intrigued by stews with peanuts in them. This sounds delicious! Like the perfect comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting dish! And perfect timing for cooking it, before the temperature goes up even more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The stew looks delicious. Sounds really good with the sweet potatoes, adds to the sweetness of the stew! I have always love sweet potatoes cooked in any dish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. god that looks very hearty!

    ive never seen sudanese curise out there... hmmm.. guess the only way for me to try is by cooking myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never tasted Sudanese cuisine. Will have to try your recipe. It looks and sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great looking stew! Very exotic and I am sure full of flavour! I love the ground peanut addition!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job. This does look good, I love the new magazine, and have made recipes from it too, yumm!

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to comment