POSTS

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Chocolate Quinoa Cake with Rosewater Ganache


Can you believe it - we had another birthday in my household, this time my husband.
I decided to cook him this rich gluten free chocolate cake made with quinoa, the recipe from the Better Homes and Garden magazine. It is covered in a rosewater chocolate ganache.


Birthdays become such a special occasion again when you have children, the joy it brings having a beautiful cake with candles.


I filled the cake with whipped cream and sliced strawberries.
The cake itself was so rich and yummy. It was quite dense and sticky yet soft. 
The strawberries worked well with the rich cake.


I wasn't sure about the rosewater ganache but tasting when freshly made I was very impressed, it was gorgeous with the subtle background of rose.
But I poured it over and refrigerated the cake overnight and the next day the ganache was much stronger in rose flavour and although still nice it was not as good as when first made.
I would suggest pouring the warm ganache over the cake just before serving. 



Rich Chocolate Quinoa Cake with Rosewater Ganache

Ingredients
Cake
3/4 cup quinoa
1/2 cup milk
5 eggs
1 tsp vanilla paste
3/4 cup melted butter
1 1/2 cups raw sugar
1 cup almond meal
1 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarb. soda
pinch salt

Filling
1 cup cream
sliced strawberries

Ganache
1/2 cup cream
1 tbsp glucose syrup
1 tsp rosewater
100g 85% dark chocolate
100g milk chocolate

Topping
halved strawberries

Grease and line two cake tins . Preheat oven to 180C.
Put quinoa in saucepan on high heat and add 1 1/3 cups water. Bring to boil, reduce heat and cover for 10 minutes. Remove from heat leaving covered for a further 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Combine milk, eggs and vanilla and use a stick blender briefly to combine. 
Add quinoa and butter and puree mixture until smooth.
Combine sugar, almond meal, cocoa, baking powder, bi-carb soda and salt in a separate bowl.
Pour in the quinoa mixture and combine well.
Divide mix into the two prepared tins and bake for 45 minutes. Should be cooked when skewer is clean.
Leave to cool in tins.

Once cakes are cool whip cream. 
Spread over one cake, add the sliced strawberries and top with second cake.

Finely chop the chocolates. 
Combine cream, glucose syrup and rosewater over heat and bring to a boil.
Remove from heat and add the chocolate. Leave for twenty seconds before whisking until smooth and thick.
Pour and spread over cake, top with halved strawberries and serve.

16 comments:

  1. Yummo - very impressive Muppy. Just looking at it (even at this time of day) makes my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a stunning cake! And it looks even better inside!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen quinoa used in a cake before. It looks delish :) Love the strawberries! They're so great at the moment and add beutiful colour too

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cake looks lovely. You sure have been busy with birthdays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This birthday cake is awesome! The cake looks so moist and delicious. Using quinoa in cake mix is totally new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just had a browse at your blog and like lots of your cooking. I'm your latest follower and would love to hear from you in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday to your husband,dear Muppy!Your cake is a masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I never thought to use quinoa that way, I'll definitely be giving this a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have been busy with birthdays! This looks wonderfully rich and I've never used quinoa in a cake but I like the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm looks delish. I just bought a 5kg bag of quinoa today. I might try and make this into cupcakes with a superfood topping

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your cake looks so chocolaty and delicious! Beautiful with the ganache and strawberries!
    Happy Belated Birthday to your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE this idea for a cake!A while ago I bought a bag of quinoa but never used it.I happen to have a few gluten intolerant friends and I always have to make special desserts when we're together.I'm going to surprise them with your recipe, thank you for sharing and a Happy Belated Birthday to your husband!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic! A cake I really could sink my teeth into (yay for gluten free!) I also adore rosewater, so guess what I'll be making soon? :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your cake looks so decadent Muppy. I love the ganache oozing over the top. Yum! Happy belated birthday to your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Muppy this really looks and sounds incredible and I love the shot with the candles. I've been curious about using quinoa in baking, and this looks like a perfect way :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to comment