POSTS

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Pumpkin Apple Spice Cake


On Tuesday my baby boy turned one.
We had a little party for him on the weekend and I made him a koala chocolate cake but I wanted him to have a cake for the actual day too.
We have an abundance of apples in our house and I have these memories of a delicious apple spice cake my mum baked when I was a child. There was a layer of apple baked right in the middle.


I also chose to incorporate some puree pumpkin and diced apple in the spiced batter.


I tossed sliced apple in cinnamon, butter and sugar before layering in the middle of my cake.


The result was a moist cake full of apple, that was enjoyed by all (well except my daughter who did not even try it - she very strangely does not like cake).



I topped it with a glaze of vanilla cream cheese icing.









Instead of sugar I used rapadura, it is dehydrated cane sugar juice.


My little boy who is sick with an ear infection actually had a moment of happiness in the cake cooking process.


And for those of you who are interested this is his 'brown' koala cake (I didn't want to use black food colouring), a layered chocolate cake filled with chocoalte ganache, cream and strawberries, and milk chocolate buttercream.
It is the first 'kids' cake I have ever attempted, so yes your allowed to laugh at it!


But you must smile when it is cut :)




Apple Pumpkin Spice Cake 
(adapted from this recipe)

Ingredients

Cake Batter
2 eggs
1/2 cup rapadura
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup macadamia oil
1 cup wholewheat flour
1 cup plain flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch salt
2 apples, peeled, small dice

Apple Filling
1 tsp rapadura
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp melted butter
2 apples sliced

Glaze
40g cream cheese
1/4 tsp vanilla paste
1/4 cup icing sugar

Method

Preheat oven to 180C. 
Grease and line the bottom of a 23cm round cake tin.
Prepare the sliced apple filling by tossing the apple through the mixed butter, rapadura and cinnamon.
Sift the dry ingredients together. 
Beat the eggs and rapadura together well. 
Turn the speed down and add the pumpkin, oil, and milk until well combined.
Fold through the dry ingredients followed by the diced apple.
Spread half the batter in the prepared cake tin.
Top evenly with the apple slices.
Spread over the remaining batter and bake for 40 minutes.
Let cool in tin for about 5 minutes before turning out gently onto a cake cooler. 
Mix the cream cheese, icing sugar and vanilla together.
Spread over the cake while still warm.

23 comments:

  1. Good job on the koala! The apple cake looks delicious, I love fruity cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cakes look wonderful. I love the photos of your son licking out the bowl. It has been a long time since my kids were that little. Those were fun times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to your son!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That photo of your son is just adorable! What a cutie pie! I think his happy face is verification that this is a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both cakes look lovely, and I'm so glad you're little boy enjoyed the bowl! I hope he gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy 1st birthday to your little one! The apple spice cake looks superb :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww Happy Birthday to your little boy! He looks so adorable there :) And the koala cake is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. happy birthday to your baby boy!

    i've never tried rapadura sugar before, where did u find it? :)

    love the look of both cakes and i think the koala cake looks great! i love decorating kids cakes, so fun!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both your cakes look delicious!
    Happy 1st Birthday to your sweet baby boy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday to your little boy Muppy!
    X

    ReplyDelete
  11. non cake loving daughter? D: omg! but the cake looks so delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  12. adorable your little boy ..,,the apple cake looks very delicious i copy right now the recipe and I'll try to make very soon to my children kiss from Italy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for all your comments, Christine I bought it at Castle Hill farmers markets but if you click on the link you can buy it online :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Muppy,happy birthday to your cute son!Your cakes look really yummy!!!All the best,honey!Kisses from Greece!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Belated Birthday to your cute little boy! That is a lovely apple cake, looks so moist and full of flavour! And the Koala Cake looks really cute! Looks like everyone had a good time, especially the birthday boy! Wish you a lovely Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy birthday to your baby boy!! I love the photos of him!! :) Both of your cakes look absolutely delicious! I bet the apple slices in the middle taste great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the photos of your boy! I am sorry he has an ear infection. I am sure he is feeling uncomfortable but he seems to forget his discomfort because he enjoys your cake. Hope he feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aww happy birthday to the little one!! And the brown koala cake looks awesome - even if it's not black it truly did look like a koala. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Muppy - hop on over to my blog when you get a chance. You might find something of interest to you! cheers Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  20. hehehehehehehee koala cake! love it! i wonder if I can make this for my Hamsley and see if he picks there is pumpkin in it... he hates pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Does not like cake!? Oh, well she'll be a very easy teenager then ;P

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to comment