POSTS

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Duck and Mushroom Tortellini with Caramelised Pears


I celebrated a birthday last week and was given the cookbook Top Chefs Recipes Made Easy by Virginia and Lisa Hellier. It is full of some great sounding recipes but no pictures so its up to your interpretation. 

So tonight I cooked duck using a Guy Grossi recipe, you can find the recipe here at SBS (although slightly different to the one I used).


Firstly a whole duck is roasted.


Wholewheat pasta is made.



The filling is made by softening garlic and shallot in olive oil. Add mushrooms, duck, parsley and sage followed by tomato paste, marsala and chicken stock. Simmer and reduce right down.


I definitely need some practice at making tortellini.


The pears were caramelised by mixing the pear slices with brown sugar and cooking with white wine.




It was really delicious, the filling was extremely tasty and went perfectly with the caramelised pears.


I really wanted to use the breasts after roasting such an amazing duck. So I made a pumpkin puree and served the breast on top with a fig sauce made using shallot, fig jam, marsala, chicken stock and butter.


It was delicious, the sweet sauce was amazing with the duck and the pumpkin balanced out the sweetness.

10 comments:

  1. Belated Happy Birthday, this dish is mouth watering mmmmmm. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Muppy, your menu selections just make my mouth water! Duck and mushroom, garlic, shallot filling - in adorable tortellini - fabulously delicious. And...then your duck breasts over pumpkin puree with fig jam - amazing. I really need to bookmark this for the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated birthday, Muppy! What a great dish to cook from the cookbook. I love duck tortelinni. Yours look absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum!!! Duck tortellini sounds just delicious! I have only just had dinner and I am hungry all over again.

    The caramelised pear looks so rich and mouthwatering. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The caramelized pear and the roasted duck look fantastic! What a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Duck and pear - match made in heaven. A lovely way to celebrate a special day. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The caramelized pears look amazing. Over top of roasted duck is just perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy belated birthday!! This roasted duck and caramelized pears looks like a delicious first recipe to make out of your new cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a friend who won't buy a recipe book unless it has a photo for every recipe. I don't mind to much as this way I can conjure up my own image of what I want it to look like.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow kudos to you for making all of that from scratch! it sounds and looks beautiful, and I bet it tastes beautiful too! I made sourdough tortellini before, took me so much time, and that was just stuffing it with cheese. You even roasted a duck, made pumpkin puree, and caramelised pears!

    http://mummyicancook.blogspot.com/2011/01/simple-garlic-and-herbed-cheese.html

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to comment