POSTS

Monday, August 15, 2011

Roast Chicken and Parsnip Soup


Another fantastic gift I received for my birthday was a subscription to the magazine SBS Feast. There are certainly some recipes that are a feast for the eyes.

This is the first recipe I have made, a roast chicken and parsnip soup, by Matthew Evans, the gourmet farmer
This is definitely not a weeknight meal although you could always reheat some for a quick dinner.


The chicken and parsnips are firstly roasted. The meat is then taken off the chicken and the bones put in a big pot with leek trimmings, celery, parsley stalks, herbs and pepper. This is covered with water and simmered for a couple of hours.


The soup is then prepared by softening leeks before adding the chopped parsnips and stock. Once this has simmered away for about half an hour add the chicken and some parsley. 


It needed plenty of salt to bring out the flavours but otherwise was really quite tasty. Yes I am slowly being converted to a soup fan.


The recipe suggested you serve the soup with turkish bread so I made my own wholemeal version. It wasn't quite like the shops but it was still yummy.

I bought this butter at the farmers markets on the weekend.


I had to include a photo of the Chocolate Cinnamon Popcorn I made, it was so delicious - an adult popcorn (although my daughter loved it). You can find the recipe at Gourmand Recipes.


16 comments:

  1. Ooh I've had the Over the Moon double cream and it is the best cream for making butter! It's got so much flavour to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comfort soup... Great recipe when I need a light meal.. Thanks for sharing dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The soup looks hearty and delicious! The popcorn sounds tasty too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soup looks great, but I'm impressed by the homemade turkish bread!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This soup is perfect for spring! Love the flavours. Thanks for the mention and link love. I am glad you enjoyed the popcorn :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE parsnips, this soup sounds great! That chocolate-cinnamon popcorn looks awesome, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great soup recipe! I need to make more soups too! I love them, it just never seems to get cold enough down here!!! hehehe I know... I am used to MUCH colder weather... ;-) Bookmarked!

    BTW, what farmers market did you go to? I'd like to go to one in the Sydney area!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice. I've just started a foray into soups myself. Love the look of that Turkish bread.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Chocolate Cinnamon Popcorn looks great too. I had never heard of SBS Feast - I checked out their website and it looked pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A soup with leek, chicken and parsnip? Can I come for dinner? Lol. Looks divine, I'll definitely give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this looks so lovely. thank you for sharing this and for visiting my blog:) have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your soup looks delicious! I have not tried parsnip in soups. And that bowl of popcorn looks addictive! Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahh Muppy this soup looks perfect for the dreaded cold-flu I've been suffering through this week!
    Your bread looks great too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw that recipe and ear marked it for future use! I just love parsnips.

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to comment