POSTS

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Slow Cooked Chipotle BBQ Pork


A while back an awesome recipe for smoky pulled pork was posted at Morsels and Musings. Yesterday I had planned to cook my pork in the slow cooker using this recipe but realised I was missing some lots of ingredients - menu planning translated to shopping list fail by me!
Not willing to change my plans I went with my instinct and used ingredients I thought would work. And gee am I glad, it was awesome.

In the morning I cut up my pork meat into chunks and added to the slow cooker along with onion, tomato sauce, tomato paste, worcestershire sauce, garlic, apple cider vinegar, red wine, carrot, celery, oregano, chipotle powder and bay leaves. I left this to cook on low all day. I took the pork out and poured the sauce into a saucepan with some brown sugar and reduced it right down. I then mixed this back through the pork I had pulled apart with a fork. 


We served it with guacamole (made by my lovely husband) and oven toasted multigrain tortillas. It was sensational. The chipotle added that element of smoke and heat perfectly matching the bbq flavours of the sauce. It was all toned down against the cooling guacamole and crispy tortillas.


Slow cooked Chipotle BBQ Pork

500g pork cut into 4cm chunks
1/2 onion sliced
2 cloves garlic sliced
1/2 cup tomato sauce (ketchup)
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup red wine
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 grated carrot
1 stick celery diced
1/2 tsp chipotle powder
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp dried oregano 
2 bay leaves

1 tbsp brown sugar

Put all ingredients except brown sugar in slow cooker and mix well. Cook on low for about 6-8 hours. Remove pork and shred with a fork. Pour sauce into saucepan, add the brown sugar and reduce down until thick. Mix the sauce back through the pork and serve with guacamole and oven toasted tortillas.

9 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm gonna give this recipe a go. Slow cooked meat is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will try this is sound delicious. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww Muppy can you come to my house and cook for me!? this looks yum, but my trouble is that I read and look instead of cooking! cheers Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Slow cooked + pork = yum! Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw the same recipe on M & M but haven't gotten around to make it. Yours look amazing and I must make this pulled pork soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmm..slow cooked meat.... and awww your hubby made the guacamole :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Words that make me smile: slow cook and BBQ Pork. :) I still remember the amazing pulled pork sandwich I had in the US...this looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm impressed that you didn't have all the ingredients and you still managed to make it taste incredible!

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to comment