POSTS

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Fig Jam Tart



Yesterday we had an unexpected visit from my parents which gave me the perfect excuse to bake. 
I bought some delicious fig jam at the farmers markets recently and have been wanting to put it to good use. This recipe is based on a bakewell tart, a delicious treat we discovered in England.


It was so delicious with the buttery, crumbly, crispy, slighty sweet base lined with a thin layer of fig jam and then topped with a soft and luscious almond filling. 
It was equally delicious served warm as it was at room temperature the next day (tasted for blogging purposes of course).


Fig Jam Tart

Pastry base (I use this recipe for most of my sweet tarts) - makes one 23cm diameter tart
 Ingredients
90g softened butter
Almost 1 cup plain flour (I use an organic unbleached freshly milled flour - it is amazing)
2 tbsp sifted icing sugar
1 cold egg yolk

Method
Preheat oven to 200C. 
Mix the butter, flour and icing sugar until you get a crumb-like mix. I usually use my hands but try to do it reasonably quickly so as not to warm it up. Then add the egg yolk which will bring the dough together, again I use my hands. If the mixture is too sticky add extra flour, if its too dry add a little cold water.  Once it has formed a dough you can wrap in cling wrap and place in fridge to rest for about 20 minutes, or even freeze it for another day (something I have done plenty of times).
 But for this tart I was short on time (as I often am) so I simply rolled out the pastry so that there is enough for your tin with a bit of overhang, and place in a greased round tart tin with removable base. At this point you can once again pop the tart in the fridge to rest for about 20 minutes as it helps reduce shrinkage. I skipped this step and just pricked the bottom lots with a fork and baked for about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and prepare filling.

Filling
Ingredients
1/3 cup castor sugar
100g butter softened
1 tsp lemon rind
2 large eggs
1 cup fine almond meal
1/4 cup fig jam

Method
Turn oven down to 180C.
 Whisk (or beat) the sugar, butter and lemon rind until its creamy and pale. Add one egg at a time whisking well.
Fold through the almond meal until all combined.
Spread the fig jam on the base of the partially cooked tart base. 
Top with the almond filling being sure to spread it evenly and to the edges. 
Bake at 180C for 40 minutes or until firm to touch. Be sure to keep an eye on it as all ovens are different and if it is like mine you will need to turn it halfway through.
Let rest for 10 minutes before serving. 
I kept mine on the bench overnight covered and it was still perfect in the morning.

23 comments:

  1. Looks delicious Muppy! I love how you've used fig jam. So delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks and sounds fantastic! Figs are so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This tart looks delicious. Looks like something my family would love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love a good bakewell tart indeed! Nice idea using fig jam too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have lots of fig jam left from last year and more to make very soon so this is right up my street. Thanks Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. wowza! That looks amazing! I absolutely love ANY kind of tart! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOOOHHHH!!! That looks scrumptious! I love fig jam too! I am sure this tasted terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your tart looks so good! I have never tried fig jam before, now you have me thinking about it! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful. I feel like I am back in England. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my giddy aunt Muppy.
    That looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your tart sounds delectable! Your description makes me wish for a piece!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm...I love fig jam! This tart looks irresistible! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just finished the last of my coveted jar of fig jam. I'm thrilled no one else in my family likes it because I can hoarde it all to myself. Your fig tart looks so rich and delicious. Your parents I'm sure were delighted!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous fig tart. Can't wait for fig season to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great way to use fig jam in dessert. It looks so deliciously moist and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fig jam used for this tart, nice!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh, I have so much jam at home, this would be a great way to use it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. that looks yummy! great idea using jam!

    ReplyDelete
  19. this sounds absolutely heavenly! i am in love.

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG , this is sooo good!
    Bookmarked already!
    IS ur crust the crunchy kind or the softer kind?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love figs so I sure will love fig jam tart. So now I got to make some fig jam.You've made a nice looking tart. I am sure it taste as good as it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. looks delicious! i've never tried bakewell tarts before but i think you've convinced me to give them a try...

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to comment