POSTS

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Simple Chorizo and Seafood Soup


Again I am sharing a recipe that I have cooked from a book I received for my birthday.
 One of my gorgeous friends gave me Marion Graspy's cook book the day before my birthday when she accompanied me to The Heart of Food Photography Course at Mumu Grill. And now she has started her own food blog Berry Butter where she shares some of her sweet treats. Please go and check it out. 


We had an excellent day at the course trying to figure out our cameras and being inspired to take attempt to take beautiful food photos.


Marion's style in this the book is so creative and interesting. I really love it.

Firstly she gets you to make your own prawn stock by peeling raw prawns and simmering the heads and shells in water for 15 minutes being sure to skim off the top. So simple yet the results were excellent (and that was still the case when we very stupidly strained some of the stock down the sink! and had to add more water and start again).


The recipe really is simple, start by cooking chorizo with onion, garlic and ground fennel. 
Stir in tomato paste allowing to cook for about a minute then let it all bubble up with some white wine. Add the prawn stock, tinned tomatoes and a little sugar. 
Let this simmer for about 20 minutes before adding a chopped up snapper fillet for about 2 minutes and finally squid rings and the prawns for another 3 minutes. Garnish with fresh parsley and your done.


We were so impressed by the flavours of this dish. It was amazing for such little effort, I will definitely be picking this book up again very soon to cook another recipe.


22 comments:

  1. The book looks beautiful! And the soup is packed with deliciousness! I always wanted to make my own shrimp stock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love going through a new cookbook. This soup looks delicious! I love the prawns and chorizo in it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crustacean shells are the best for making stock. Great as a base for wontons and/or noodles too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yet another great idea for a delicious soup! Inspiring! I can almost smell the delicious aroma of the stock!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed the book too - how beautiful was the layout! Can you tell us more about the food photography course?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This soup is busting with beautiful flavours. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, yum, yum! This dish sounds fantastic. I love seafood!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to hear you made it to Simon's class. He's great, isn't he? Great looking soup, seafood + chorizo = tons of flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't yet had a chance to try her recipes but they do look great-like this one! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just tried that recently too. I simmered shrimp shells in a broth for a creamy pasta sauce. Then, I strained everything out. It was delicious and left me curious about making other flavored sauces. I think it would be yummy with lobster shells!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is certainly some soup. Love how the original recipe was put together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love chorizo, love seafood, love drinking soup. triple win combination!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely soup!I can surely serve it before a fish meal..My men are coming back from a fishing trip tomorrow,so this is perfect timing! Have a great weekend! XO

    ReplyDelete
  14. seafood yummm... and chirzo.. thats got to be haearty soup... definitely good for this rain.. gahhhh...

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds delicious!! I love the sound of the prawn stock!! I'll have to have a look at this cookbook- it sounds really interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not a fan of seafood, but you make it look and sound tempting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Chorizo and seafood! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. that looks really good. my favourite kind of combination!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think this looks just amazing and the flavours would be perfect together, Happy Birthday too!

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to comment