For Valentines I decided that I would attempt to make a Joconde Imprime cake. There have been many posts about them (as I am sure you have seen) since it was the Daring Bakers challenge for January. I first saw it on Not Quite Nigella's blog and thought since my husband is a fruit lover and me a cake lover that a berry version should go down well :)
So I used the recipe and a version of the berry mousse from NQN's post here.
What fun it was, and I have taken step by step photos if you are interested in seeing my process.
And the final product was delicious.
The only things I would do differently is leave my sponge mix to sit a little longer as the first 'wrapper' I baked had air bubbles. And I would make extra strawberry mousse to layer it higher as well as have extra fresh strawberries to layer in the middle and garnish. But otherwise I am so proud of my efforts!
|I traced out my 'design' so I could pipe the paste on to it|
|In the freezer|
|Just out of the freezer ready for the sponge topping|
|Added the sponge on top of my frozen design|
|Prepared my mould|
|Just out of the oven|
|Turned out and paper peeled off|
|I made these ones for the layers in the middle of my cake|
|Preparing to assemble the cake|
|Ready for my layers of mousse and cake|
|Ready to eat - Evie's little fingers couldn't wait|