POSTS

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Baked Zucchini Flowers stuffed with Feta and Basil



I had never tried zucchini flowers before lastnight......


I removed the stamen very carefully (the petals are so fragile) and stuffed them with some beautiful feta that I had crumbled with some julienned basil.  I then drizzled them with olive oil and baked for 25 minutes at 180C.


To serve with these beautiful specimens I made a tomato, pumpkin and zucchini risotto. The stock for this risotto is made by simmering vegetable stock with ripe chopped tomatoes, an onion, parsley stalks and a bay leaf. You then strain the stock and add a cup of white wine and a tablespoon of tomato paste. The base of the risotto is finely chopped leek and garlic, sauteed in olive oil before coating the rice well. The stock is then added ladle by ladle until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice cooked. At the end I mixed through roasted pumpkin and steamed baby zucchini strips.


I also made a basil oil (by blending a basil, garlic and olive oil) to drizzle over the top.
I was so pleased with this dish. The flavours complimented each other so well. The delicate zucchini flowers were delicious and the feta stuffing was amazing (we bought the feta at the markets).


9 comments:

  1. oh my - this is like something you would get in a fancy restaurant! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love zucchini flowers stuffed with ricotta and herbs, delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! These look almost too pretty to eat. I bet they were delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so used to seeing these deep fried so it's nice to see a different type of recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The stuffed zucchini flowers alone would have made a nice meal, the risotto made them even better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look delicious, I like stuffing them with mozzarella, dipping them in a simply batter and deep frying them! These look a lot tastier though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are just beautiful. They are almost - almost - too pretty to eat. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! Ive enjoyed visiting your blog and would love to present you with

    THE STYLISH BLOGGER AWARD! Congrats!

    Please visit this link to get the rules of this blog award.

    http://oureyeseatfirst.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh this looks fantastic!! I have never tried zucchini blossoms and would love to. If I ever find some I will be using your recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to comment