POSTS

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Nigella's Homestyle Jerk Chicken with Rice and Peas (or in my case kidney beans!)

I have to confess that I occasionally enjoy watching Come Dine With Me (UK), it really is quite hilarious watching them cook! One dish that continually comes up with the contestants trying to cook is Jerk Chicken, or Caribbean Chicken. So when I saw this recipe for Jerk Chicken in Nigella Kitchen I knew I had to try it. She serves it with the classic accompaniment of Rice and Peas, which is meant to contain Gungo Peas but I used kidney beans.


The chicken breasts are first marinated in a quite complex mixture of allspice, thyme, cayenne pepper, ground ginger, nutmeg, ground cinnamon, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, rum, lime juice, soy sauce, cider vinegar, red chillies and onion. After I blitzed it all together it was giving off a nose tingling vapour!
The chicken is then baked with its marinate whilst you prepare the rice and peas which is a more simple rice dish cooked with coconut milk and beans. I was meant to add chillies but left them out as I at least wanted one part of the dish toned down for my daughters sake.


The dish was really delicious. The chicken coated in the thick marinade was really delicious and perfectly complimented by the coconut in the rice. I was actually really surprised at how good this was. In the process I've already found some more delicious recipes in Kitchen I will be trying next week ;)

7 comments:

  1. Coconut in rice>? What a brilliant idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Come Dine With Me (the UK version). The guy that does the voice over is hilarious. The Australian one just makes me cringe.

    I've noticed all the jerk chicken recipes on there too. Jerk has always intrigued me. I saw a cooking show recently Caribbean Food Made Easy, hosted by Levi Roots, where he made Jerk and my God it looked SO spicy. His show is well worth a look as he had some great recipes. I didn't know much about Caribbean food before but I am definitely interested in trying it now, albiet a little less spicy than Levi would make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have looked at this recipe in 'Kitchen', but not tried it yet.
    It looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm I love sauce-y dishes and this sounds just like one of those dishes for keeps :) Are those black beans that you add to your rice?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet the marinade made all the difference for this chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a great job! I've made coconut rice before and it was really delicious, this looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky you, with those perfectly ripe figs! And the dish looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to comment