POSTS

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Baked Rice Paper Spring Rolls and Small Carrot Cakes

What a busy couple of days I have had! Soon I must do a catch up post with snippets of some of the fantastic things I have been cooking :)


Last night I baked spring rolls with rice paper, I was inspired a by the yummy and healthy looking rolls on Bike Bake Blog. I sauteed a little garlic, ginger and spring onion before adding chilli, chopped mushrooms (oyster, enoki and king brown), chinese cabbage and grated carrot along with some oyster sauce. I also crushed up some peanuts and mixed through once cooled.


Once assembling I baked for about 30 minutes until nice and crunchy on top. I served with a dipping sauce of soy sauce, kecap manis, sesame oil, rice vinegar, sesame seeds, garlic and ginger.


These were really delicious, the filling was so moist and tasty. The rice paper doesn't give you as nice a crunchy texture as a typical deep fried spring roll but they were much healthier and still lovely.



I also made little carrot cakes for my friend who dropped by yesterday. She does not eat vegetable oil, dairy or egg yokes so I adapted from a recipe in my collection.


They were deliciously light and full of flavour. I was really impressed at how well they turned out. As far as cakes are concerned they were really healthy.


Carrot Cakes with Lemon Glaze (6 small - double the recipe for 1 cake)

1/4 cup wholemeal flour
1/4 cup plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
pinch salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup raw sugar
2 egg whites
2 tbsp canola oil
1 grated carrot
1 small tin (200g i think) pineapple, crushed and drained
1/4 cup chopped pecans

Lemon juice (1/2 juicy lemon)
1 tbsp icing sugar
2 tbsp water

Preheat oven to 180C and grease (i used canola oil) an appropriate tin - I used a friend tin.
Mix together the dry ingredients and then mix the egg whites and oil in well. Stir in the grated carrot, pineapple and pecans. Bake for 20 minutes (whole cake will take longer).
Let cool for a couple of minutes before pricking with a fine metal skewer and placing on cake cooler.

Meanwhile I boiled briefly lemon juice, water and icing sugar. Spoon a teaspoon of the hot glaze over each warm cake.

11 comments:

  1. Those spring rolls look fantastic! I would never have thought of baking them. Thanks for yet another new idea. The cakes looks super tasty too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw those on Lisa's site and thought that they looked amazing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't have thought of baking them, I do bake the 'normal'spring roll wrapper type ones though for the rest of the family. Great idea and Yummo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They both sound so delicious! I'd love one of those carrot cakes with my afternoon tea ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear that you liked the spring rolls! They certainly have a different texture but are tasty nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum. I love a good spring roll! We love ours fresh and cold with lots of herbs, marinated beef and a vietnamese dipping sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those healthy recipes! I never thought of baking spring rolls, good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The rolls look really good. So do the cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your rolls look wonderful. I've never had them baked, so I'll definitely have to give these a try. It is such a good idea. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those look fab!!! I so want to come over for one or three :).

    I've always seen those wrappers but they scare me to cook with, I may have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The spring rolls are fabulous and I love carrot cake. Both are excellent choices!

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to comment