POSTS

Friday, March 25, 2011

Pumpkin Cheesecake Brioche Pudding



The reason I chose to cook this incredibly wonderful dessert of Pumpkin Cheesecake Bread Pudding all came about when Willow Bird Baking put up a Cheesecake Challenge. It is probably not something I would normally choose to bake but I am having a love affair with pumpkin and spice lately. The recipe also calls for Brioche and I had seen an amazing Brioche recipe on Snippets of Thyme recently that I was hoping to bake. And bake I did!


I just have to start by saying that this was a sensational dessert, I loved it. The cheesecake component had the most beautiful lush creamy texture and the flavour of spices and pumpkin and cream cheese..... The brioche perfectly matched the mousse like cheesecake filling. I ate it while still slightly warm and it was really good but actually the next day straight out of the fridge it was at its best, the flavours had really developed. I am trying to eat healthy and lose weight but having this in my fridge was the hardest challenge yet - I could not resist breaking off pieces of the brioche and scooping up extra cheesecake......
I made my husband take it out that night to feed his fellow band members (check it out - Letters to Home), hopefully they weren't on a diet too!


So to begin I made the brioche, it is not a difficult process, just takes time, including an overnight stint. The dough is rich with eggs and milk and butter and sugar. I was not sure if I had eaten brioche before but once it was finally baked the taste was ever so familiar. Although it is not really a bread I would eat on its own it was the perfect vehicle for my cheesecake.


To prepare for the pudding I baked butternut pumpkin with a little cinnamon until nice and soft and then pureed. The cheesecake mixture is a combination of the pumpkin with cream cheese, eggs, sugar, milk, cream, vanilla, and generous amounts of allspice, nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon.


The baked brioche was sliced nice and thick, each side coated with melted butter and placed in a baking dish. I poured over the creamy custard and allowed the bread to soak it all in under some tight cling wrap before drizzling the pudding with a combination of brown sugar and butter. The dish was placed in a water bath for baking.




Once removed from the oven I was immediately impressed with how beautiful this turned out. I really wanted to create one of the other cheesecakes suggested in the challenge for their beauty but this one I now know stands out in its own right.



I would suggest once cooled put this in the fridge and enjoy the next day cold, it was sooooo yummy! I would go as far to say it could possibly be my new favourite dessert!

18 comments:

  1. This dessert sounds like a labor of love, though very much worth it..It sounds delicious, creamy and satisfying...I too am trying to see a few pounds disappear..so I understand the struggle..Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks really delicious..soooper cute presentation..
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done making your own brioche for this! I like the additional of pumpkin flavour too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting dish! I'd love to try this! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your brioche is so cute! It's called "Zopf" here in Austria where I live at the moment and my boyfriend's dad brings us some every Saturday from the baker.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    First time here...
    That looks tempting and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know I already told you, but this is lovely, Muppy! You did a fantastic job! I'll have a big ol' scoop, please ;)

    Julie @ Willow Bird Baking

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, this is seriously amazing! I love both cheesecake and bread pudding! Mmmm! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Incredible! I'm a huge cheesecake and bread pudding fan and this looks mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks irresistible! And my new found favourite is butternut so this is really a clear winner for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. that looks amazing! i love pumpkin and bread pudding so this sounds like a lovely combination!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I think you really outdid yourself with this bread pudding, and homemade challah too. You are amazing. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your pudding up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my! Oh my! You did it. And it looks delish. You also took it to an new level. That pudding looks amazing. Tres bien!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You certainly went to a lot of effort for this, but it looks fantastic and obviously was a hit with everyone. I've still yet to try pumpkin in a sweet dish.

    ReplyDelete
  15. looks amazing. brioche and cheesecake together- I would have trouble resisting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm also trying not to eat so many less-healthy things, but I would cave for this delicious-looking pudding! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. My oh my oh my! What a huge effort, but I bet it was worth every bite! Yumm...

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to comment