POSTS

Friday, March 11, 2011

Mini Meatballs in Baked Eggplant with soft Pecorino


This recipe came about because we bought some gorgeous soft pecorino at the markets. I searched for recipes using soft pecorino and this one came up on the blog of Bakers Corner. I thought it looked fantastic and eggplants are amazing at the moment.


The only change I made to the recipe was to half the eggplants (rather then take a small slice off). I then removed the eggplant filling, seasoned them and drizzled with olive oil before baking at 180 for about 20 minutes. When I make this again I will bake for an extra 10 minutes as they were slightly underdone.


The meatballs are made in a similar fashion to my normal meatball recipe where you add bread that has been soaked in milk to the mixture. It is amazing what this adds to the texture, they are so light and fluffy.


The removed eggplant is chopped up and sauteed with some spring onion before the browned meatballs are mixed through with some freshly chopped basil.
This is then added to the prebaked eggplant cases along with some freshly chopped tomato and little pieces of soft pecorino. I then baked them at 200C for 20 minutes.


This was a really delicious dish, all the flavours complemented each other well. I will be cooking it again!

7 comments:

  1. Who knew meatballs could be so cute? I love all the colours :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum! Those looks so pretty and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a great idea! Looks delicious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those stuffed eggplants remind me of something my mother used to make with ground beef. It looks so delicious and I just love eggplant. I was going to mention that I was so afraid to make brioche. Its not difficult at all. It does take a longer time to wait for the dough to rise, punch down, rise again, but there is no work involved, except sniffing the aroma constantly! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a stunning presentation! This sounds wonderful :o)

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to comment