POSTS

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Nigella's African Chicken Drumsticks with Freekeh and Roasted Vegetables

Yet another recipe from Nigella Kitchen, this one for African Chicken Drumsticks. The drumsticks are marinaded in tomato sauce, worcestershire sauce, onion, apricot jam, ground ginger and mustard powder. They are then baked.


I decided to serve them with green wheat freekeh and roasted vegetables. I found this recipe where they used maple pecans with beetroot and decided to give it a go, also using a similar mustard dressing. So I roasted beetroot and carrot throwing in some asparagus for the last 10 minutes. I toasted some pecans in butter and then added a little maple syrup and seasoning. I tossed all the vegetables together with the cooked freekeh and pecans, adding the mustard dressing.


The drumsticks were very tasty but it seemed more like a barbeque sauce then anything. My freekeh was really interesting, it is a similar texture to brown rice. I liked the flavour and the more you ate the more appealing it became. The beetroot, carrot, pecans and freekeh all went really well together with the mustard dressing. The asparagus was a little out of place (though it still tasted delicious!).

11 comments:

  1. Wow I would never thought to have used apricot jam like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of those flavours sound amazing together! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohh....wow...my mouth is watering..just looking at this excellent..
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  4. The marinade adds a very flavorful depth to food. These veggies look very appetizing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting... Don't think I ever had freekeh before :) I'm a sucker for BBQ sauce so will definitely bookmark this rainy days :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. goodness, what a delicious sounding dish. I just want to pluck those roasted veggies off the screen!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I have to make this meal, it's got my mouth watering.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The roast vegetable salad looks absolutely delicious Muppy. I will have to find some freekeh and try it.

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to comment